Ocurtis90
Newly Registered

Is this a type of lilly?

:?: is this a type of lilly? It was given to me. I have re potted and it is now starting to grow little pink sprouts. They look like a little crab claw or lovster claw. I tried to get the leaves in the picture.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

It's not a lily. Might be a Heliconia. Look up "Lobster Claw Plant". Are you located in a southern/tropical location?

Ocurtis90
Newly Registered

Hi! Thanks. I am in north carolina she had them in her basement over the winter. I have it in half and half shade/sun. Ivespent hours searching through photos online.

Ocurtis90
Newly Registered

I just searched heliconia and thats what I have here! Thank you so much!! I am a bit worried now as I am in zone 7(b) and I have very cold winters. I searched all care and facts for this plant. Wish me luck.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Am glad I could help you I.d. The only reason Heliconia crossed my mind was that I remembered seeing a lot of them years ago in a tropical garden on the island of St. Lucia. Fingers crossed & luck sent your way. Since it will definitely have to come indoors as soon as night temps start dropping in the fall, your best bet would probably be to keep it potted. I fear that planting it out & then digging it up & potting it for it's winter life indoors may stress it enough to kill it. But take that advice knowing that I don't have any personal experience growing the plant.

Return to “Perennials”