EEC
Newly Registered

It appears that my irises are invading my daffodils

I have just moved back to California after living in two years in Georgia. When I came home I saw that my flower bed has been taken over by two plants. Purple Irises and another type of perennial and helped by some daffodils and the usual assortment of weeds :shock: . It has gotten to the point where my tulips and daffodils are scared to come out of the ground O.O ! I want to be able to control all of them, stop the multitudes of invasions and have a good looking garden. Here is my plan, potting the irises and the great big leafy perennials in clay pots. I want to be able to do this so when the crab grass comes back I will be able to pull up the pots then just weed the flower garden in a day and be done, and stop them from trying to take out my daffodils and tulips! The problem is, I am unsure if potting the irises (which are my mom's favorite type of flowers) will kill them. Will potting the irises, daffodils, tulips and the other plants kill them?

EEC
Newly Registered

Upon further reflexion, I realized that photos might help. I would like to have some help identifying the big leafy one. I have included a cheap pen for reference
The first image is of the flower bed in general. I began pulling up the weeds and the rocks
General over view of the garden.
General over view of the garden.
This one is of the Irises, there are more to the left and to the right of this lovely speciman.
The Dreaded Purple Iris...
The Dreaded Purple Iris...
Finally,. this is the plant that I would like help identifying. It is a perennial, and it is green. That is all that I know without pulling it out and the such.
The mystery plant
The mystery plant

imafan26
Mod

I don't know about tulips they can only be forced here, but irises are easy to transplant so you can definitely pot them up.

The bigger plant looks like something in the ginger family, maybe a canna. I cannot really tell until it flowers, but it does have that kind of leaves.

EEC
Newly Registered

Thanks!

Return to “Perennials”