winnipuh
Newly Registered

Need help identifying a plant-unsure if perennial

Was cruising through a neighborhood when I spotted a large flowering bush. I talked to the lady of the house and she let me take home a snip of it so I can take it to my mom and start my own sapling. I have no idea what species this is and would like some help identifying it so I can care for it properly.
Bush was about 8feet tall. Had lots of white flowers as pictured. It has a thick stem, on every little branch knob thing there is a couple of single leaves growing out of it. The bush was along a fence exposed to full sun? Other than that I don't know too much about it. The flowers wilted on the way home so this is the best pictures I have.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Where are you located? This is always important in being able to I.d. plants.

winnipuh
Newly Registered

I'm located in arizona, sorry about that!

shadylane
Green Thumb

winnipuh It is an Hibiscus, could be China Rose H. Rosa-sinensis. They do not thrive in colder regions. Growth to height 15-20' You can google it to see if this is your particular Hibiscus.

winnipuh
Newly Registered

I was originally thinking it was a hibiscus as well but:
The leaves on this plant don't have jagged edges
The pollen stem thing in the middle doesnt stick out like it does with regular hibiscus

imafan26
Mod

I don't think that is a hibiscus the flower clusters and leaves don't look right. Does it have milky sap when you break a stem?

winnipuh
Newly Registered

I didnt notice any milk when I cut it. I did notice it had a hollow tube in the main stem though. Ill take more pictures but they will problably be even more wilted now.

imafan26
Mod

If the main stem is hollow, it is definitely not a hibiscus.

Hibiscus will have a prominent stamen and the flowers only last about a day. For the most part the buds are fatter and usually not in clusters although buds may be close together on the main stem, usually only one at a time will bloom. Single hibiscus flowers have 5 petals. Doubles open up in a rounder, messier shape like the confederate rose in the link below.
Hibiscus leaves are palmate or heart shaped, often with serrated edges.
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/sout ... iscus.html

I think that you could ask the person who owns it if they know what is or at least they should know if it is a perennial that comes back every year.

winnipuh
Newly Registered

As stated the pollen stick thing doesnt stick out past the flower and also the petals are stuck to one another not spread apart like hibiscus

catgrass
Green Thumb

Try looking up Morning Glory Tree. Not quite sure of the match, but the stems sorta look alike.

winnipuh
Newly Registered

I was going to say morning glory as well lol. I thought they only came in vines though!?

I asked the lady and she didnt know what it was she just told me she had them planted since they were small and grew up to about 8 feet tall in a year. Looking at google this has been the closest if not exact match yet

I think youve hit the nail on the head!: A morning glory BUSH
The petals are all together. The nectar stem thing doesnt protrude past the flower. They both have a star like pleat inbetween each petal. Similar in size,shape, and color from root to flower

catgrass
Green Thumb

There are lavender and white ones. I have a lavender one. They root very easily if you cut off some of the tips. Will bloom until frost, and it will die to the ground. I am in zone 9, and mine comes back every year. The are beautiful bloomers, and bees love them.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Carolyn's pictures 028.jpg
Here is mine a year or so ago:

Return to “Perennials”