hcker2000
Newly Registered

Perennial Vine questions

My wife and I have been working on getting our porch all fixed up but the only problem we have now is during the evening we get so much sun that we can't sit out there.

We are hoping to find some help picking a perennial vine that grows quickly and is non-destructive (twining type). The area we are looking to cover is about 15 feet by 8 feet high.

We need some thing that wont attracts many bee's as my wife is allergic.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Newt
Greener Thumb

All vines flower so some insect pollinator is usually associated with plants. Some plants, such as many ornamental grasses and some trees, are pollinated by wind. Unfortunately I don't know of any vines that are wind pollinated. Plants that usually don't attract bees have double flowers where the pollen is hidden.

Perennial vines take time to establish their root systems and often don't grow quickly. It can take 3 or more years before they put out much growth. Annual vines grow quickly as they only have one season to flower and produce seeds.

Dutchman's pipe aka Aristolochia is a fairly fast growing vine, with most species not hardy in your zone. Aristolochia durior is hardy from zones 4 to 8 and might be a good choice for you. It doesn't flower much and is pollinated mostly by butterflies. It's also the larval food for the pipe vine swallowtail butterfly.
https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/vines/aristolochia_durior.html

Another option would be one of the double flowered clematis, but they can take 3 years to establish before they put out much growth.

Newt

Return to “Perennials”