harryhh
Cool Member

Can I move a few lilies at this time of year?

I would like to move a few lilies. The plants are 6 to 7 inches tall with single stalks. Can I dig them up and move them?

shadylane
Green Thumb

The rule of thumb for planting lilies are in the fall before last hard frost, or in spring. If over crowding is a problem and seeing a loss of vigor in growth, one may want to chance the removal of a few for healthier growth for those and the group.
Many lilies produce stem roots that emerge from the bulb below the ground, which produce roots that help feed the bulb during the growing season. Be sure that you will not disturb the other bulbs' root stems when lifting over crowding bulbs out of ground, for these help with gathering nutrients. Bulbs don't go completely dormant.
You did not state which type of lily, in my experience with native day lilies for transplanting, the rule is any time any where. All they need would be water to pick them back up on their feet.

perhaps others will add their experience for you.

harryhh
Cool Member

Thanks shadylane,

Lilies seem to be very hardy. These were planted last spring so there should be only one or two bulbs. I intend to take out all the bulbs from three plants so a resident can plant the flowers she wants.

I'm afraid I don't remember what kind of lilies. I selected mainly by height. Shorter to grow under windows, and a little taller to grow between windows.

I read somewhere on this forum I think that I should water and fertilize the plants so they are strong before transplanting.

harryhh
Cool Member

Actually, I do remember that I had decided that the lilies should be orientals, though I'm not sure for what reason. Maybe because orientals tended to be shorter to go under the windows or some such.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Yes orientals... I too have the orientals, and moved them into a sunnier area with more sun light and little dappled shade. They were in somewhat deep shade and not growing well. So you encouraged me to do the same. It's been a couple of weeks and they are growing great. Also I did not come back far enough with the shovel from the bulbs and broke a stem which I tossed and planted the bulb oopps.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Short answer - No

Allow the foliage to develop, the plants to bloom and fade and let the foliage die back completely before transplanting.

Bulbs need a full cycle to nourish the bulb.

If you do transplant now you will interrupt the bloom cycle for at least a year and may lose some bulbs.

Good luck

harryhh
Cool Member

Thanks ElizabethB,

The advise from the forum and from my sister seems to be pretty much correct. I could move them, but their growth would be inhibited.

The tenant changed her mind on which lilies she wanted moved, so, a few weeks ago, I moved 3 lilies from full sun to 60 percent shade. They look healthy but aren't growing yet. Their stems are still about the same height as when I transplanted them. It looks like they might not bloom this year, but maybe it's still too early to tell. But that's okay, next year would be fine. They're alive and that's all I wanted.

Thanks folks,
Harry

shadylane
Green Thumb

Here is a few pics to show the growth in the lilies I had transplanted. We can see what changes that may be ahead and add some information to our gardening guides. So far so good.

shadylane
Green Thumb

I wanted to do a before and after blooming picture but alas..rabbits found them. I will replant group them in later part of the year. Thank you Elizabeth for your information, which I too will follow. But they were going to bloom as you see.

Return to “Perennials”