spiffycheese
Newly Registered

How can I tell if my delphinium will be coming back?

Hello everyone!

Last year I planted my first delphinium. It was GORGEOUS and had these beautiful blue flower shoots most of last summer and fall. I can't wait to see it again, but so far no sign. Just about all of my other flowers (including other perennials I planted just last year) are showing some growth, but my delphinium has nothing... no green, nothing new coming up from the ground, nada. I have heard that delphiniums are hard to grow, and once I planted mine last year my dad immediately said "good luck getting it to come back!"

I'm hoping it comes back. Any reasons it wouldn't come back? How long should I wait before planting something else in its place? If it does come back, what should I look for (will new shoots come out from the ground or will growth show up on the sticks left from last year?)

Thank you so much for your help!! I'd post a picture, but honestly it just looks like dead sticks stuck in the ground.

I'm actually having the same issue with my Arizona Red Shades, but a couple people have told me to wait until later in the spring for them because they like the heat.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If it comes back, it will come back as new shoots from the ground. The dead stuff from last year is dead and can be cut down. But delphinium is temperamental and short lived at best. If you can get it to last through three seasons, you are doing really well.

Return to “Perennials”