Jane1
Newly Registered

My Delphinium seeds

Hi, I'm new here and my first post, so hope all is correct..
I have searched the Net and am struggling. This year I'm hoping to get a greenhouse, and I have been given lots of Delphiniums, that I have left to dry out in the garage.
I am now in the process of taking the seeds out and have popped them into an envelope. But does anyone know the correct next process. Sometimes I read, put in hot water to open, others say in the fridge.. I'm at a loss and wondered if anyone could give me basic instructions so hopefully next year I can have a lovely display. Plus the best times to do things etc..
Thanks for your time

Jane

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D

The reason you are finding different information is a lot to do with when you plant them.
You can either plant now directly into growing site as long as they get a period of Winter chill. (This cracks the hard seedcoat allowing water in and therefore germination).
The problem is that if you plant them straight in the garden they will be eaten by slugs the minute they put new shoots up so you need to mimic this process by putting them in the fridge in a little peat inside a plastic bag. Then plant them in a seed tray/pots once you see that they have started to germinate. (This will take several weeks so be patient) Place them in a coldframe to grow on and once large enough and hardened off plant them into growing site. That way you avoid the slug destruction.
Putting the seeds in hot water will have the same affect on the hard seedcoats but will mean they grow out of season. I wouldn't bother. Just means they are ready far too early and need to be hardened off over a longer period and not planted until the frosts have finished.

Jane1
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for your time, I will do as you suggest with the fridge...

Really hope it works and they come up for flowering next year..

Take care

Jane :D

Return to “Perennials”