roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Re: Amaryllis

how do I give them more light, the windowsill is too cold for them

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

You'll need to set up a better lighting source. Can you hang a 2 or 4 tube shop light fixture over the plants or set up a shelf that you can hang the light on and set the plants underneath?

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I am not sure if I can, I don't have much room where they are. I will see what my hubby and I can do. We rent so we really can't do much about adding a shelf to the wall. We got a couple of long lights at a neighbor's garage sale last summer, I may see if he can change the smaller light for one of them.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Sorry, I meant shelf like one of those wire rack shelving units. They really make wonderful plant stands. And even better, they can be set up any place where there is room for the unit.

imafan26
Mod

You could use a goose neck lamp if there is space for it.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I have a question, my amaryllis is growing very long leaves, does that mean they will bloom again sometime this winter? I don't know whether they will die down again or not. I was thinking of letting them bloom on their own schedule, and not try to force them for Christmas. I read that they do not need a dormant period, is that true? Tomorrow I will take a picture of another one that is starting to regrow. I can't tell if it is leaves or scape.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

They might bloom again, they might not, usually not. I've had a few that send up a surprise flower stalk later in the season but those have been pretty rare and from really big bulbs. When the weather warms and no more frost is in the forecast I set mine in pots outside in a mostly sunny area. If you have potted them using just the pellet that came with the kit, that is a good time to fertilize the bulbs. Make sure the pot has drain holes, if it doesn't the bulb will have to be repotted. Use regular potting mix if repotting. Then leave the plants outside until the leaves dry up or late September. Water as needed. If the leaves haven't dried up they should be removed when you move the plant inside. Set in a cool place until they start to grow again.

As for the rest period, I have not tried to keep mine going except for the Papillon which doesn't need a rest period. It's just easier to store dormant bulbs in my basement.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Going to have to get rid of 6 plants, the amaryllis has red blotch and one of them has some kind of a worm, the Coleus are not doing well at all, I have to get rid of two more because they are dying. I think it is because of the pellet stove, this house has a lot of air leaks and it is hard to get the temperature right for them. Also my frosted fern died, it is like touching a sponge that has lost its water. That will leave me with the Draceana Warneckii, three poinsettias, 3 more amaryllis, spider plant, snake plant and a couple that my neighbor wanted me to take care of while he is in Florida(lucky cuss).

applestar
Mod

That's too bad roseycheeks. :(
Sometimes, gardening -- indoors or out -- is just a series of trial and error. That's why you might see me going on and on about the successes. (I probably should post more about the failures too, because those are also learning experiences. :oops: )

It's almost time to start coleus from seeds. I never tried to keep them alive over the winter when I grew them. Back then, I took "them" at their word, when they said to "annual/treat as an annual". Are there any stems that are still looking strong enough to take cuttings and root?

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

No, I have enough seeds so I will regrow some, although not as many as last year. I think the amaryllis has had it, the leaves are dying and falling over. I probably just sealed their death warrant, I cut the leaves off of the ones that were dying, I think I will throw them out, I still have the baby and two others. One looks like it is going to be leaves again, and one looks like it is trying to grow a scape, it looks very different from the leaves. My frosty fern is dried but I am going to try to revive it although I don't know if that is possible. My newest plant is doing very well, although I wish it had a easier name that Dracaena Warneckii.

imafan26
Mod

If te bulbs are still firm, cut off the leaves and repot them. They do not need a dormant period but they do like to be lifted every couple of years. Mine only bloom once a year but only the larger bulbs. If I leave the smaller bulbs too close and crowded, not only will they not get very big, it can stop the larger ones from blooming. After I lift , separate and fertilize them, sometimes I get an unexpected bloom about 6 weeks later.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Thanks imafan26, I will try that this weekend, it would be nice if they bloomed whenever they wanted to. I thought for sure that they were too far gone. But if I can coax them to bloom again it will please me to no end! I will let the poinsettias bloom whenever they want to, The frosty fern I don't know what to do with it, I watered it until the water ran out of the holes and put it under the grow light, when do you think I will see anything with the baby amaryllis? I keep watering it but have not seen anything, do you think I will see anything this year?

]

applestar
Mod

"Frosty Fern" seems to be a new name for Selaginella. I'm used to thinking of them as a terrarium plant (likes a lot of humidity).

Logee's has had them in their catalog listing forever (since the 80's) and this is their care sheet for them and I've quoted an excerpt of the blurb about watering:
https://www.logees.com/media/care/pdf/Selaginella.pdf

Keep them evenly moist. When watering, thoroughly saturate the soil until a little water runs out of the bottom of the pot. Do not dry them out or repot them after they have been under drought stress as this can kill or damage them.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I just repotted 3 amaryllis and they have fat white roots. I don't know if I should repot the baby amaryllis or not, it is not doing anything, maybe I should just leave it alone. I watered them to get them started and now I will leave them alone, should I fertilize them now or later?

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I have one amaryllis that I am sure has a flower stalk and I think a leaf is coming up on the other side! I am not going to get too excited, but that is what it looks like, when they come up a little better I will try to take a picture of it. I can't think of what else it could be.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Leave the baby where it is. In a couple years it will naturally separate from the mother bulb and can be repotted then.
While they may not need a dormant period I have found that they naturally seem to take some time out for rest.
As for fertilizer, if you planted them in potting soil they can wait until it's time to set them out when the weather warms. If you planted them in the coir pellet that comes in the kit you can fertilize now but at half or 1/4th the strength listed on the package.

What kind of worm did you have in the one bulb? Was it doing damage to the bulb or just in the soil?

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

The worm was in the soil, I repotted it and no worm! I already separated the baby from its mama.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I have something interesting happening to one of the amaryllis that I cut the leaves off of, it is growing a new leaf! There is also another one that looks like it started to grow a scape, but it has stopped and is just growing leaves.

imafan26
Mod

If I want my amaryllis to bloom at a certain time, I cut the leaves off and repot it and it usally will bloom in 6 weeks if the bulb is big enough. Sometimes the ones in the ground just need to be fed and have the weeds removed so it can get more light. Amaryllis will bloom even without the leaves. Interesting. I have never had an amaryllis change its mind and about growing a flower. Orchids yes, I have made them crazy using the wrong fertilizer at the wrong time and had them make a keiki and the keiky would flower at the same time. I have been better about not confusing them. Now, I just don't feed them much at all.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I set my amaryllis in the window, they do not have leaves that can touch the window. It is supposed to be sunny and warmer so I think that is the best place for them. I watered the Draceana Warneckii by setting it in a sink of water and letting it sit there for a little while, I could tell it was done when I picked it up and felt the heavier weight. There is a total of 5 or 6 amaryllis plants in the windowsill, hopefully the sun will help them out.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I just repotted my baby amaryllis, the pot I originally had it in was totally too big, so I went to my stash of smaller pots and repotted it. I mixed some sand in the potting mix to help it and watered it lightly and put it under my grow light. Here is it in its new home, tell me what you think of it.
101_2063.JPG

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Why is it so low in the pot? I keep the top of the bulb above the rim of the pot.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I could raise it up if you think that would help any. I have plenty of potting soil, I can add more.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Amaryllis produce a huge root system. The more room they have for roots the better they grow. I would raise the bulb so it's closer to the rim. Don't add more soil on top, tip it out and add more soil before setting the bulb in the pot.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I have new growth on my baby Amaryllis! I just repotted it with more soil so it is higher in the pot, so excited!

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

101_2314.JPG
Fast forward to May 30, here are all the Amaryllis except the baby, they seem to be doing all right, usually they get the red blotch and one year they got something called Mosaic disease which I have never heard of.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

It is now the middle of September, should I bring the Amaryllis in? They all survived except for the baby. I think our first frost will be in October, so please let me know so I can cut the leaves off. Can I use Cinnamon to help the scapes emerge better?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Set them where the pots can dry out but where they still get light. Then when the nights start dropping to around 45*F bring them in and cut the leaves off. I usually dump them out of the pot and store them bare root but you can leave them in the pot. Set them some place cool and dry and let them rest for a while. Then when they show new growth give them some bone meal and bulb fertilizer. I have found that they are heavy feeders and if not fertilized enough the bulbs shrink instead of growing larger.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

It is the 22nd of September and I have put the amaryllis to "bed", should I get them out and sprinkle cinnamon on the neck where I cut the leaves off? They all had a lot of roots, so that may be a good thing. They were not soft or squishy and they did not stink so they were not rotted, let me know about the cinnamon, ok?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I've never used it and never noticed any problems as long as I kept the plant dry until the cuts healed over.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

ok, thanks ButterflyLady29, it is going to be interesting to see if I can get them to rebloom for me this winter!

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Well another holiday season is upon us, I put several amaryllis into dormancy in September, I have been checking them and they are not growing any. Am I rushing it o is something wrong? Should I take one and pot it up and see what it does? I am not going to drive you kind folks crazy with a lot of posts, just would like to see if any are going to regrow for me.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I took a good sized bulb and repotted it, now we play the waiting game!

applestar
Mod

I love your amaryllis posts -- every year you grow beautiful flowers. Good luck! hope they come back strong. :D

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Patience Grasshopper, patience. They will start growing when they are good and ready. It's not something you can rush. Getting them to grow isn't the trick. Getting them to bloom again, that is the trick. If the bulbs are still large and hard they will grow and most likely flower. Many times the bulb shrinks after flowering. Those flowers take a lot of energy and nutrients. Fertilizer and some bone meal added to their potting soil will help keep them in flowering condition.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Thanks ButterflyLady29, patience is not something I am good at but will try!

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

My hubby got me two more Amaryllis, one is Red Lion and the other is Star of Holland,what a surprise!

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

100_2795.JPG
Here is one of them growing!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I am trying so hard to stay away from the amaryllis displays this year. When I was working I thought nothing of spending $20 or $25 on a single bulb. Sometimes I bought 2 or 3 a year. Now there is a whole storage tub in the living room full of planted bulbs and at least a dozen pots of them. Unfortunately while I was working I didn't have time to properly care for any of them. So this year I don't have spare $$$ for bulbs but I have the time to plant, water and fertilize them. I'm anxious to see which ones bloom this year. So many shrunk in size because of lack of proper care. Not really a bad thing since I sure don't have room for 60 or so grapefruit sized bulbs. But with proper care this year I should have a lovely display next year. I might even sell or give away some of the common ones so I have room for the more unusual ones.

I don't know if I can part with any of the papillon bulbs. But they do need to be separated and repotted.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Are you. willing. to part with any short ones, or do you have any?

Return to “Perennials”