rocky743
Newly Registered

peonies and oriental poppies

I ordered these plants in september. the package never arrived until yesterday. unfortunately, it's snowing.
can I take them into the greenhouse untiil spring? how do I care for them?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Depends... you didn't say where you are located, which makes a difference in terms of when the ground will be really frozen. The time to plant peonies is in the fall, but really it should have been earlier. You want them to have time to put down some roots in their new location, before the ground freezes. So if you think you have a month or so, I would go ahead and put them in the ground.

If not, then the next question is whether your greenhouse is heated. If it is heated, you don't want them there, because they need cold winter dormancy. So perhaps you need to just plant them in a large pot that you can keep in a sheltered location for awhile, so that they have time to grow some roots. In the spring you could transplant them, taking as much of the soil around them as you can aand disturbing them as little as you can. Plant them in a full sun location.

rocky743
Newly Registered

I live 50 miles north of New York city. We have 7" of snow. You said sheltered area, I assume you mean outside. Is it the same for the oriental poppies?
Thank you for your response.

imafan26
Mod

Most reputable catalog companies send their bulbs and bare root products at the right time for planting in your area. Usually there are planting instructions with the package usually in an envelop attached to the box. You can also call the company for help. Most of them have a number to call for product support.

Return to “Perennials”