roseycheeks
Green Thumb

dumb cane plant

Could someone tell me where the new growth will appear on my plant? It had three leaves, one was perfectly normal but the other two were drooping, I repotted it just gave it a little water and now the two droopy leaves have perked back up. But I can't find any new growth, where does it appear, the bottom or top of the plant?

catgrass
Green Thumb

It will come out the top of the plant.

imafan26
Mod

If the terminal growth is the one that survived it will come out from the top. if the terminal point rotted, then it will come out from the side.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

My little dumbcane plant is still alive, I just now read how you were supposed to water it, so I took it into the bathroom and put it into the tub, I poured water on it until it started to run out the hole, now it is on my computer desk to dry out. I found out that my neighbor who gave it to me, did the right thing except she had no hole for the excess water to run out of! I have a couple new leaves coming up now, and the plant is healthy. I also got a timer from my hubby for my plants, it comes on at 3:30 a.m. and goes off at 8 p.m. That should be enough light for them.
100_5272.JPG

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I have been reading up on all my houseplants and I had to throw out the Nasturtiums, they were turing yellow and getting very leggy, but back to the dumbcane, I have it in front of the window with a curtain between it and the light, and it is not growing very fast. Should I put it under the flourescent lamp for the winter? I have not had to water it since the last post, I keep checking and it is still very moist. I do not want to lose it but I would like it to grow a few more leaves to let me know it likes it wherever I put it. Some advice will be helpful, I have a lot more seeds but I think for right now, I am going to just focus on the ones that are growing right now. I planted some Allyssum but they are not doing well, I may have to chuck them too, growing these plants indoors is really,really reaching to get them to flower during the winter. But you know how I am, always trying new things.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The dumb cane is typically a house plant and should do ok if you get the right place and routine for it.

Trying to grow all these sun loving annuals indoors in winter seems like kind of an exercise in futility. There are lots of things that will like being indoors much better and some even bloom in winter.

Some things to try:

cyclamen is beautiful and should bloom all winter, same with streptocarpus, which is very difficult to kill, my jasmine grew like crazy indoors, but didn't bloom, but some people say they will bloom indoors in winter, kalanchoe comes in a variety of brilliant hot colors and blooms pretty constantly and likes indoor conditions, begonias and African violets are traditional indoor flowering plants. Most of these are not usually started from seed by home gardeners (not saying it isn't possible, just that I've never tried it or seen the seeds offered). However, polka dot plant is pretty easy to start from seed and does well indoors.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Which direction is your window facing? Dumb cane can tolerate low light, but really do better with medium light. Actually, they do better with neglect. Don't overwater-too much water will definitely stunt it's growth and eventually kill it. Growth will slow in the winter. I let mine go totally dry, then I submerge the whole pot into a deep tub filled with water. Let it soak for a couple minutes, then take it out to drain before putting back in place. I do this about once every 2-3 weeks.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I think my dumbcane plant likes where it is, as you can see it is growing a new leaf!
100_5282.JPG
Also the other leaves are looking pretty good, they seem to like the timer we have on them too. It comes on a little after 4 a.m. and goes off between 8 and 8:15 p.m. So it is pretty regular, everything is doing fine, the Coleus, The dumbcane, the snake plant, they are growing quite well.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I have the dumbcane plant on my desk right in front of me, it gets light but not direct light. It is kind of shaded by the other plants and the amaryllis leaves. So here it is, have one question, is it because it is winter that it is not growing very big? It keeps growing new leaves but they are not great big. Maybe someone can tell me if it will take off when it gets warmer, maybe when spring hits. Any advice would be helpful, one page says to fertilize, and one page says not too. HELP!
100_5424.JPG

imafan26
Mod

When did you fertilize? Once the weather warms up, repot the plant and add some fertilizer. Always works for me. Dumb canes are pretty tolerant but salt does build up in the pot. It is very tolerant of over and under watering and poor light. In bright light the leaves will turn whiter in darker areas the leaves will be green.

Return to “Perennials”