roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Moonflower bud!!!

I did it, I finally have a moonflower bud!! I have tried 3 times to get one and now I finally have one and there are 2 more getting bigger too. O:)
100_5157.JPG
I will post pics when they get bigger and especially when they bloom! One of my neighbors told me that moonflowers would not bloom indoors, well, I think I have proved him wrong! Wait until he gets a load of this! :-()

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

It is growing quite well, I have been trying several times to get one to even come to bud stage and for some reason they just did not take, well, I guess I did something good this time, it will bloom and you had better believe I will take pictures! I am so happy that it got that big so far, if the bud is that big how big will the bloom be?
100_5166mfbs.jpg

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

This one is now 6 inches long, how much longer will it get before it pops open?

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Here it is finally opened, isn't it gorgeous? It has a scent but it is a weak scent, but it is beautiful.
101_1307.JPG
There are more buds on the vine, so there will be more oics.

applestar
Mod

Yay :clap:

The scent should get stronger as it gets darker. Let us know tomorrow. :D

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

It did get stronger, we had a fan on low and every once in a while the scent would waft over to us. I have 4 more that are budding now, but that was a special one it was our first!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

My moon flowers are different and get a jaggy round ball full of seeds! Yours must be climbers! I even have moon flowers in pots that bloomed!

applestar
Mod

I think Bobberman's "moon flower" is probably Jimson weed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium
Datura stramonium, known by the common names Jimson weed, Devil's snare or datura, is a plant in the Solanaceae(nightshade) family. It is believed to have originated in theAmericas, but is now found around the world.[1] Other common names for D. stramonium include thornapple and moon flower,[2]and it has the Spanish name Toloache.[3] Other names for the plant include Hell's Bells, Devil’s Trumpet, Devil’s Weed, Tolguacha,Jamestown Weed, Stinkweed, Locoweed, Pricklyburr andDevil’s Cucumber.[4]

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Mine is similar but the flower and leaves are different. The flower is like a giant morning glory! The seed pods are completely round not oval!

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Here are two more moonflower buds, they either are going to bloom at the same time or close to the same time! I have several experiments going in my house and everything I planted has sprouted, thinning was hard but I think the seedlings now have more room and are not so crowded.
101_1386.JPG
101_1387.JPG

LIcenter

applestar wrote:I think Bobberman's "moon flower" is probably Jimson weed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium
Datura stramonium, known by the common names Jimson weed, Devil's snare or datura, is a plant in the Solanaceae(nightshade) family. It is believed to have originated in theAmericas, but is now found around the world.[1] Other common names for D. stramonium include thornapple and moon flower,[2]and it has the Spanish name Toloache.[3] Other names for the plant include Hell's Bells, Devil’s Trumpet, Devil’s Weed, Tolguacha,Jamestown Weed, Stinkweed, Locoweed, Pricklyburr andDevil’s Cucumber.[4]
These pop up in a different spot in my yard every year. They don't like direct sunlight, but will tolerate a few hours of dappled sunlight. If you have pets, or small children that love to chew on your plants, pull them immediately! Very toxic... :eek: ...but also pretty in their own right.

Return to “Perennials”