roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Resurrection Lily buds

:flower: I thought I had just one naked lady bud coming up, instead I have 3! If they bloom, it will the VERY first time that they did. I planted just one bulb in that area, and I also planted two more further down the garden, they have not made an appearance yet. So here are the buds! Can anyone tell me the time between when they first come up to when they bloom?
100_5047nlb.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Your reminder made me go out and look. Yes indeed my nekkid ladies (resurection lili) are making bloom.

Nekkid ladies set their tops in April & May, it dies back and a very pink bloom erupts on a stalk all by itself end of July, front of August.

Very very pink.

DDMcKenna

We'd like to see a picture of that when it happens, if you care to share ;)

NancyJo

your are so lucky!! Naked ladies are on on must get list this year. That plant is just has some magic for me.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I learn something new every day.

Kitsune no kamisori; lycoris squamigera started out somewhere between Korea and Japan.

a nice page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoris_squamigera complete with out greens,

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

and very fast! From when they show, they jump up to be a bare 18" or so tall stalk with blooming flowers in an amazingly short period of time, usually just a few days, depending on conditions. Surprise lilies are blooming around me.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I need to add these to the list along with Candy Lily to get more bang mid summer.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

My neighbor has grown them for 20 plus years. She gave me a round patch about the 2 feet in diameter with 2 feet of leaves this spring. There were close to 50 bulbs most were 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. I pulled up the whole patch with the leaves at there peak. I dug a trench about 6 feet long and lined them up side by side touching. She told me what to do and was very strict about it :). "Bury them at the white to green line on the leaves", she said, "just like they were". I have 12 popping the last few days after planting this spring. It's all about the bulb size and getting them at prime leaf with the right amount of moisture and nutrients I think. After I was done I researched them....Wow they are expensive and can take a few years to pop when buying a dried up bulb. Gotta love the ladies that have been doing it forever and show me the ropes.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

This is just after a couple of days, they really pop fast! I looked at them and they look like a miniature Amaryllis when they get ready to bloom, the pods start to open and you can see the flowers inside, that is what these look like. It is getting ready to rain so I hope they don't mind getting a little wet, cause it looks like we are going to get drenched. I hope that they do bloom, and you can be assured that I will send you pictures. Here are the buds since yesterday.
100_5069.JPG

Rairdog
Green Thumb

21 popped up from spring transplanting.

The mother bed from whence they came.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Here they are, the other night we had a small storm and they got knocked down, but my neighbor and my hubby got them up and tied them to a stick and the lattice and they are going to town.
100_5091.JPG

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Mine in full swing with hive in background. It's funny how I can drive around the neighborhood and the patches stick out like a sore thumb. I can imagine the neighbors trading them back when this was a summer resort area.

Return to “Perennials”