Jana

Milk and Water Spray; How to Store?

July 28, 2014

Hello out there gardeners! I am * SO happy to say that I found a recipe to make a spray to combat the black spot fungus on my young rose plant. The trouble is, you see, is that I cannot find out how to store this spray.
It is made with: 1 part milk and 2 parts water; (mix and put into a spray bottle.) Are you supposed to refrigerate this? (I have some left over and do not want it to go to waste).

(O: Thanks for any advice,
Jana

*I have an indoor/outdoor cat and didn't want to use any pesticides or chemicals that could bring him harm. Plus, if this spray really works, as I had read about it, it'll be super-cheap, and I'll always have the ingredients on hand! (O:L

applestar
Mod

It's really best not to mix up more than you will use up. But, it happens. I've "been there and done that." :wink:

In my experience, If you don't refrigerate it, it will take on smell of old and way past expired milk. It's not as pleasant as freshly mixed milk smell especially if you get some ON you. But I think at this stage it's still effective.

If left out for 2-3 days it will curdle and then develop green mold -- typical mold in dairy -- in a couple of days. This will CLOG the sprayer, plus I don't know if the green mold will be beneficial.

Adding a bit of yogurt whey helps to culture the lactobacillus and I believe increases the efficacy of the spray, and keep the milk spray from spoiling/molding a little longer... but will speed up the curdling (I have used curdled milk spray after filtering).

Return to “Perennials”