Brown Thumbs

Lantana pruning

We have several lantana bushes that were planted a little too close to our sidewalk many years ago. Each year they grow large and flower great but get a little too big. Is it ok to prune them some during the growing season to keep them a certain size so they don't look too big and hang out over the sidewalk? I've always been afraid this would cause them not to flower so I just let them get big. Thanks.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Lantana is one f those "bullet proof" plants. Yes you can prune. Better yet - next winter - when they are dormant - move them farther away from your side walk. Give them room to grow and you room to walk. You could even transplant them now. Cut them back first then give them plenty of water for a couple of weeks after transplanting.

My 2 favorites are New Gold because it is cascading and looks great in a landscaped bed (especially when planted with blue or purple flower near by) and Ham & Egg - an old fashioned pink and yellow lantana that was a favorite of my Grandmother.

If I had the space I would plant a bed with nothing but as many different Lantana that I could get my hands on. You want butterflies? Plant Lantana.

Brown Thumbs

Ok thank you for that. I was scared to trim and prune while they were growing and flowering. I don't know the type because they were here when we bought our home but the get around 4 ft tall and have flowers with a mix of yellow, pink, and orange. Real pretty but each year seem to stop flowering by late summer. I've noticed other people's flower through the fall so not sure what's going on there.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Brown Thumbs - south US is a very broad geographic region. Answering your post would be easier if you would edit your profile - city and state. If your live in the coastal south your lantana may be subject to powder mildew later in the summer. Supplemental watering is a good idea during dry periods. They will survive with neglect but they perform best if given just a little TLC. Don't over do the TLC - they will get lazy and quit blooming.

Brown Thumbs

We're in central MS and I do recall the leaves becoming a white color so maybe it is mildew. There's a big oak close and it shades that area some but not enough to keep them from doing good in that bed. I'll prune and keep them watered more this year but if they stop flowering again and have white color on leaves what do I do then?

Return to “Perennials”