Rairdog
Green Thumb

Difference between Annual & Perennial Dalhias and Begonias?

Annual and perennial dalhia's and begonias. Are they the same if you over winter them? Are they just sold as annuals because they will not survive your zone?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

There are some varieties of both species that are hardier than others. I've seen this variety of begonia grown as a perennial in my zone 7a https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/ ... rcode=c843 The flowers are less showy than a lot of the begonias grown as annuals in my zone.

As far as Dahlias go, all the varieties I've personally found are only hardy to zone 8. Apparently there are some that should be hardier, but I've never personally found any hardier varieties. The less hardy varieties can be dug up and stored over winter, but I just treat mine as annuals.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

All Begonias are perennial plants, but need to be in a proper climate to survive indefinitely outside, which varies for different types, though I don't know of any hardy in Z5. Begonias are easy to just bring inside, many kinds (including wax) should keep blooming if enough light.

Agreed, Dahlia tubers (also all perennials) can be dug up after frost kills the foliage, stored in a cool, dark, dry place until spring. They are hardy where the ground doesn't freeze - generally, and more reliable where there is no winter at all.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

That's what I thought. They are sold as annuals here. I wondered if they were brought in for the winter would continue to grow or if there was a subspecies that was grown from seed and didn't have tubers.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Yes! Only tuberous Begonias have tubers. Many Begonias can be grown from seeds, though not something I know anything about beyond that level of vagueness. Hopefully someone will pop by who can speak to that more specifically.

Tuberous Begonias are kind of off by themselves, at least IMO/E. The wax, cane type, rhizomatous (like Rex,) dragon wing, are all easy plants to keep alive indefinitely, in the same manner/care as most house plants. Tuberous Begonias, much more finicky.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

When I had Dahlias, I always dug them in the fall and re-planted in the spring. With Begonias (which are sold as annuals where I am), I often bring some inside in the fall. They do great on my windowsill all winter. In fact, I’ve had several that have lived for years indoors, year-round. They can get leggy, but I just cut them back so they’ll stay reasonable, and they will bloom almost continuously. They’re one of my favorite “annuals” because they’re so versatile.

Return to “Perennials”