meredith1985
Newly Registered

walmart iris help

I bought a package of iris bulbs, that came on a bag of dirt. They looked like a couple dry old twigs. I followed the directions to plant them, but I haven't seen any growth at all. Will they just not grow until next spring? After reading some, I see I should have waited until fall, but would that really keep them from at least showing some signs of life? I planted them about a month ago. Thanks for the help.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, If I planted them a month ago I would be expecting them to have shown by now. I think I might have a talk with them at Walmart, I think they'll give you replacements. Have a good day.

Richard

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Meredith - Iris grow from rhizomes, not bulbs. Growing conditions depend on the type of Iris. I am partial to Louisiana Irises. They are native plants and extremely suitable to our growing conditions. IDK where or how you planted them. Iris rhizomes should be planted very shallow - even partially exposed. They like damp conditions. Unless your temperatures are still crazy low you should be seeing some sign of life.

I do not like buying bulbs or rhizomes from big box stores. They are not cared for properly and are often not suitable for your region.

Do a little research for Iris varieties that will do well in your region and order rhizomes from a reputable on-line source, or purchase from local nurseries or growers.

Easter Sunday my brother showed up with bundles of Louisiana Irises for Mother and his 3 sisters. He was vague about where he got them. I am pretty sure he dug them out of a ditch in some remote spot.. I cut back the foliage to a 6" "fan" and let them sit for a couple of weeks then planted in the ground. They get dappled sun and are in a moist spot. New growth is showing.

Good luck

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

Iris are usually pretty tough. I’ve moved mine several times around my yard, and they may skip a season, but usually come back strong eventually. With new plantings, I usually put them in the ground in early fall, but it depends what type of Iris you have. You may be ok, just wait and see.

Return to “Perennials”