YOE
Newly Registered

I recently purchased a LEWISIA LONGIPETALA,

I purchased a Lewisia Longipetala which I was told at the nursery that it was a succulent. However, I was told by another nursery that it was perennial that was California Native. I plan to plant this plant in clay pot, but was advised that soil should be gravely. Should I plant this in cactus soil or should I pot in well drained potting soil with sand or gravel added to soil. Every book I have read makes no mention of this plant being succulent nor have I found what I type soil I should use. Any and all help appreciated. :? :?

applestar
Mod

This isn't L. longipetala but I usually go to Logee's for this kind of cultural info and they had this one: https://www.logees.com/Lewisia-Little-Pl ... P8850%2D2/

According to their guide, Lewisia is a rock garden plant and needs "open potting mix" in containers which to me indicates cactus/succulent soil. 2/3 well draining potting mix plus 1/3 sand and gravel added IS basically a home blended cactus/succulent soil. Some people recommend 1/2 and 1/2 -- I think it depends on the plant and also the quality of the potting mix used.

YOE
Newly Registered

Hi Applestar,
Thanks so very much for your helpful response. I have bookmarked Logees to use as another reference to use whenever in doubt.
Again, thanks for your help.
Very much appreciated. :) :) :)
yoe

Return to “Perennials”