YOE
Newly Registered

I recently purchased a LEWISIA LONGIPETALA,

I purchased a Lewisia Longipetala which I was told at the nursery that it was a succulent. However, I was told by another nursery that it was perennial that was California Native. I plan to plant this plant in clay pot, but was advised that soil should be gravely. Should I plant this in cactus soil or should I pot in well drained potting soil with sand or gravel added to soil. Every book I have read makes no mention of this plant being succulent nor have I found what I type soil I should use. Any and all help appreciated. :? :?

applestar
Mod

Re: I recently purchased a LEWISIA LONGIPETALA,

This isn't L. longipetala but I usually go to Logee's for this kind of cultural info and they had this one: https://www.logees.com/Lewisia-Little-Pl ... P8850%2D2/

According to their guide, Lewisia is a rock garden plant and needs "open potting mix" in containers which to me indicates cactus/succulent soil. 2/3 well draining potting mix plus 1/3 sand and gravel added IS basically a home blended cactus/succulent soil. Some people recommend 1/2 and 1/2 -- I think it depends on the plant and also the quality of the potting mix used.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

YOE
Newly Registered

Re: I recently purchased a LEWISIA LONGIPETALA,

Hi Applestar,
Thanks so very much for your helpful response. I have bookmarked Logees to use as another reference to use whenever in doubt.
Again, thanks for your help.
Very much appreciated. :) :) :)
yoe

Return to “Perennials”