annag

Transplanting in Summer

Is it o.k. to transplant plants when they're flowering in the summer as long as I dig deep enough around the roots? I live in NJ.

Anna

opp2

It's ok to transplant, but most advise against it due to the hot weather. If you get a string of cooler days, and can water appropriately, things should go fine. Trees are a little different as most advise to transplant in the spring while still dormant, or in the fall when going dormant.

I think I know why but I'm not expert.

good luck.

AO
Newly Registered

Transplanting perennials in the summer may cause the plant to die, but if you don't dig up the dead plant, then the root will still be alive in the soil and may start coming back this year during the summer or by next spring.

annag

Transplanting perennials in the summer may cause the plant to die, but if you don't dig up the dead plant, then the root will still be alive in the soil and may start coming back this year during the summer or by next spring.

Will they die right away if they're going to die at all after transplanting them?

Anna

AO
Newly Registered

Most of the perennials will stay alive for a few days, start to wilt and then die. I actually prevented a perennial from dying, but it lost a few leaves and is rare.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I still move things in summer - but ONLY shade plants. I move them in late afternoon, more like evening, so they are not stressed by the heat and have at least 12 hours to recover some before it's hot outside. From there I just make sure they have water.

I wouldn't move a sun plant, or part sun plant right now. There are very few plants that take kindly to that.

gardenz

As most everyone else has said, moving a full-grown perennial this time of year should be avoided, if possible. Having said that, I've never let the season stop me if the spirit moves me to move it! :)

A sister New Jerseyite here our weather is fairly identical. We've been fortunate to have good periods of heavy rain inbetween the hot, sunny days. Humidity's been high, too, which helps prevent plant leaves from transpiring too much in the hot sun. Especially leaves of recently moved plants.

Key factors:
- Wait till after a good, soaking rain. Move it while it's still cloudy. With the soil so wet (not muddy) the root ball will stay in tact when moving. You could move it during a light shower, but try not to handle the leaves too much if they're very wet because that's a great way to spread disease;
- Have the new hole already dug and prepped (compost, hopefully) to just "plop" in the in-tact rootball;
- Erect a shade tent over the plant. Use an old tomato cage or just four bamboo stakes clothespined w/any kind of open-weave material. (I have leftover shade cloth from my greenhouse which I use for this purpose).
- Water, water, water thoroughly when planting and cover root area with 2-3 inches of mulch but not too close to stem;
- Cut the plant back by at least 1/3 and snip off all blooms. You want the plant's energies to go into re-establishing its roots rather than pushing new growth or supporting buds and blooms;
- And don't initially feed it w/any kind (even slow-release organic) fert. After a week or so give it a good foliar feed of some fish/kelp emulsion.

Keep it shaded for at least a week. Then, uncover for a few hours a day, till you see that it can take more sun. Good luck. I've been doing "the plant shuffle" for years and have been fortunate to have had only minimal losses.

Anonymous

Gardenz,

Although I it is not July in MI and I won't be planting anything outdoors for too many weeks I would like to say that your breakdown of Key Factors
were superb!

I was rather pleased,you didn't miss a thing* :D
Excellent instructions!

Could not have said it better myself.

Kale:)

Return to “Perennials”