pinksand
Greener Thumb

High traffic ground cover

I installed a stepping stone garden path along the side of my house last spring. Since then, we got a puppy and a fence... neither of which were taken into account in designing the side path/garden. I currently have wooly thyme and mazus reptans growing between stepping stones and they've done well. However, in order to use the gate, you have to step off the path into the garden so the gate can swing open. The wooly thyme in that area isn't looking too good, but it may have been heavily trampled during the fence installation. I also have some bulbs and flowers along the path that are now being trampled in order to enter/exit the gate so those will have to move. I may end up having to widen the stepping path in this area, but was wondering if there are any good high traffic ground covers that would hold up to some trampling now and then.

The area is full sun with good drainage.

KeyWee

I have a groundcover that was shared by a friend. It is attractive bright green but I don't know the name. I think you could walk on it all day (I do) and it wouldn't be bothered much. When it gets light outside, let me take a photo, and if you want some pieces of it, I will be happy to share it. We are in the same zone, number-wise, just not the same state. I think I remember you from over on the GG site, yes?

KeyWee

Here is what it looks like, close up and in my stepping stone path.
Attachments
DSC_1043.JPG
DSC_1043.JPG (58.07 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
DSC_1042.JPG
DSC_1042.JPG (38.64 KiB) Viewed 1355 times

pinksand
Greener Thumb

KeyWee wrote:I have a groundcover that was shared by a friend. It is attractive bright green but I don't know the name. I think you could walk on it all day (I do) and it wouldn't be bothered much. When it gets light outside, let me take a photo, and if you want some pieces of it, I will be happy to share it. We are in the same zone, number-wise, just not the same state. I think I remember you from over on the GG site, yes?
Yes, I'm also on GG but can't even remember the last time I logged on there :( I'll have to check back in.

The groundcover you posted looks like creeping jenny. It's very pretty and I love the bright leaves, but I tend to keep it confined to pots because its vigorous nature scares me. Maybe being trampled would keep it in check though? Do you find it to be hard to control?

KeyWee

Pink, you are not missing anything over on GG ~ that site has been pretty dead and then plagued by spammers too. Arghhhh ~ I met so many nice people there but they are mostly gone.

The groundcover I have is not hard to control because it's very easy to pull. Not sure if it's creeping jenny or not ~ it doesn't get a flower of any kind. For the life of me, I can't remember what the lady that I got it from called it but I will ask her ~ she knows the botanical name of everything!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Interesting about GG. I think that's why I haven't visited actually, not much action and I lost interest :( I'm glad to see you around here!

Let me know if you find the botanical name, it does look very pretty around your stepping stones. I might try some blue star creeper or irish moss. Have you had experience with either?

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

KeyWee—I love your garden path. So beautiful! As to pinksand, and a suggestion for a groundcover, I have some English Ivy and Lambs Ear that are constantly being walked over and still look great. The Lambs Ear will look a bit worse-for-the-wear from time-to-time but then pop right back. The Ivy is the best. It never really looks affected by kids tromping over it. I know there are some more traditional choices for groundcover (that I'm sure others will soon suggest), but I thought I’d mention those. I like the Ivy because it will wind around things, although you do have to work to control it some. The Lambs Ear is nice because of the added color it provides, and of course I adore it’s soft, fuzzy nature.

Return to “Perennials”