pinksand
Greener Thumb

When to transplant various perennials

I have a raised bed that I'm planning to clear of perennials to make space for veggies. I definitely plan to save as much as I can from the bed and divide/transplant them to various empty areas in my gardens. The problem is that many of the plants are currently in bloom and I'm not sure that now is the most appropriate time to disturb them, but I want to be ready for my veggies (a few seeds started inside, most I'm planning to purchase as baby plants). Also, I was thinking about maybe leaving a few things if they would draw beneficial insects... bad idea?

Perennials:
Evergreen Candy Tuft
Coral Bells (no clue of the variety... I have it all over my garden in full sun or shade and the blooms are bubblegum pink. It pretty much roots wherever I've laid divisions)
Coreopsis (A lance leaf variety, so it should be easier to move than the threadleaf variety)
Iris
Shasta Daisy
Evening Primrose (yellow)
Miniature rose bush that has never seemed to do well
Asters (leaves are just coming up and are in a weedy section so these will be tricky to move)
I'm sure I'm forgetting things since I'm not currently home to go look

Bulbs in bloom now:
Daffodils
Hyacinths (grape and larger variety)
Tulips (just starting to bloom)

Some of the perennials, like the candy tuft, are in bloom now so I'm not sure that now is the time to move them. Would it be okay? The candy tuft specifically hangs over the edge of the raised bed so it's possible I could leave it there and it wouldn't be in the way.

I'm also assuming I should wait to move the bulbs? I've never moved bulbs before... should I wait until the leaves are yellowing and then dig them up?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you want to preserve the bulb plants, it is best to wait until the leaves are yellowing. When in bloom is generally the worst time to try moving a plant.

Re leaving some to attract beneficial insects, that generally is only nectar or pollen bearing plants and usually only natives. Native insects aren't adapted to making use of exotic flowers.

So the rose and tulips and most of the bulb stuff is pretty much environmentally worthless.

Best to save would be the coreopsis and the shasta daisy:

coreopsis attracts butterflies, ladybugs and lacewings.

Shasta Daisy attracts butterflies, green lacewings, ladybugs (as well as their larvae!), praying mantis and other such wonderful garden helpers. - See more at: https://welldrainedsoil.com/shasta-daisi ... MFI34.dpuf

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I'll have to see if I can work around the bulbs for now. I'll probably go ahead and move the evening primrose because it hasn't shot up from the basal rosettes yet and I have enough elsewhere that it won't be a big loss if they don't make it. I'll probably leave the coral bells and candy tuft since they've either started blooming or have already sent out buds. Would they be fine to move right after they finish blooming? How damaging is it to move the summer bloomers now? I might move the tickseed and shasta daisy to a better spot in the same bed so they won't get in the way, but still be around to draw lacewings, ladybugs, and butterflies :)

Thanks RGB!

Return to “Perennials”