RobinM

Honky Tonk Blue Iris - Leaves lying on the ground

Hello everyone. I'm making my rounds this evening to the different boards asking for help because I planted a bunch of stuff over the weekend (while temps were in the 80's) and now it's cold again. Ugh. Anyway, I planted 4 Honky Tonk blue Iris. I've never planted Iris before and really know nothing about them. The leaves are extremely long and I think these are supposed to be about 3-4 feet tall? The leaves are probably at least 3 feet tall now but they are lying down flat out on the ground. Only a few in the center have stood up. I've been reading about rhizomes, which I knew nothing about before and am not sure if these have that or a regular under the ground type of bulb. I planted them straight out of the pot to ground level, watered them and they are still lying down. Is that normal? Should I trim the leaves off? I don't think the cold snap hurt them honestly. They look the same as they did when I planted them but just wondering why the leaves aren't standing up. Any idea?

Thanks,
Robin

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

I'm not an expert on Iris’, but I do have a lot of them. I’ve found that after a transplant, I’ll sometimes have droopy leaves, but nothing bad ever comes of it. I find that with Iris I can just plant them and forget about them. They must be one of the hardiest perennials I’ve ever seen. I’ve actually ripped them out of the ground by the leaves, left them on the ground for days and transplanted them…and they go on blooming for years. We moved into a new place once where they had simply been mowing over their garden, and it was the Iris’ that transplanted perfectly out of the lawn. So I guess what I'm saying is not to worry. Your Iris are probably going to be fine.

Return to “Perennials”