Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Re: my calla lily

My mother in law had them in a pot. She would leave them out on the porch until they died down, then she would put the down in the basement until spring with NO watering... She would bring them back out, water them, and place them in their normal spot. She always had beautiful plants.

Your plants are weak because they are not getting enough sun. I agree with you, they look leggy.

Plants the have bulbs and tubers that are planted from SEED can take up to 3 years to flower. After the first year, the bulbs/ tuber are very tiny. They need lots of sun on their green to be able to beef up their tubers and grow them. The larger the tuber/bulb, the livelier the plant! Get these babies out in the sun for a little bit. Dappled sun at first, then slowly increase them to more sun every day.

I wouldn't repot them while they are in active cycle. Wait till they go dormant in the fall. It's plenty ok to leave your pot outside until the green parts die off. They need a dormant cycle.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I opened the window all the way, so the calla gets the sunshine as well as fresh air. The stems are getting that color that the full sized ones had, is that a good sign? Here is a picture since I started to leave the bedroom window open all the time, it at least keeps the squirrels out of it. I think it is coming along quite well don't you?
100_5097.JPG

Return to “Perennials”