aaradyn

Daffodil bulbs are sprouting.... in November...

Ok, so we had a crazy warm snap and Mother Nature has a sense of humor and I haven't grown daffodils before.... My bulbs are in pots on my deck railing right now and while I've brought in all my potted herbs, I didn't bring the railing pots. The squirrels have decimated my pansies- they're all gone, eaten, dug up and left to die... I hate squirrels. But my bulbs are not only fine, but I'm seeing green under the very thin layer of dirt left on top of them. So, what should I do? I'm thinking they need to come in and go in my basement until spring. The other thought is do I transplant them now into a bed in the front yard that ultimately want to fill with bulbs and an ornamental tree? There aren't that many, I have maybe a dozen.

Thanks!
Aaradyn

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They need cold dormancy. You are in Boston, it WILL get cold again :) . They will survive the little bit of sprouting. They would do better planted about 4 inches deep in the garden, except that it is pretty late for moving them. In a pot, it would be best to pile more dirt on them and then find a protected out door spot for it, perhaps by a south facing wall or perhaps insulating the pot with straw or leaves or burying the pot.

aaradyn

that I can do - I'll add some soil and move them next to the house, off the railing on the porch. :)

Thanks!

Cola82
Green Thumb

Aaaaah, I'm so glad someone else had this problem. I just came here to ask this very question.

aaradyn

I covered them with more soil and moved them from the railing to the deck right beside the house and the sprouting hasn't gotten any bigger so we're good. :) I'm really excited for spring though!

Return to “Perennials”