grdnguru
Newly Registered

Iris question

I've found that my Iris bulbs are all visible at ground level now. I'm wondering if I should dig them up and replant or just put more soil on top.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, no, neither one! That is how they like to grow. The top side of the iris rhizome should be exposed, with just the bottom half where the roots are, in the soil.

I one time was given some iris and just dropped it on the ground, while I decided where to put it, and then forgot about it. When I discovered it considerably later, it had rooted itself in and was growing just fine!

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Are they bearded Iris with a rhizome, or those with a regular, round bulb, like Dutch Iris?

grdnguru
Newly Registered

purpleinopp wrote:Are they bearded Iris with a rhizome, or those with a regular, round bulb, like Dutch Iris?
Bearded Iris.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

In that case, I agree, they should be mostly UNburied, on the surface. Burying Iris rhizomes can cause them to rot. After a few years, they can pull themselves under ground, and grit blown by the wind helps to bury them also. If/when that happens, pull them up and re-set, probably spread out a bit, for a few more years of spectacular performance.

New_Y
Newly Registered

Bearded iris will not bloom if the rhizomes are covered. So, no, don't put more soil on top.

You can break them up and move them further apart to get more irises in your garden or to share with friends. This should be done about every three years when the plants get really clumped up; you will notice when it's time because even though there is a solid plate of iris roots, you won't have that many flowers.

Plant the divided iris rhizomes at the same depth you see them now. The long stringy roots in the ground, and the large bulbous rhizome should be buried only half-way up, so the tops are showing.

Return to “Perennials”