goliveira
Newly Registered

Deadhead Asiatic Lilies, Anyone?

I bought an Asiatic lily and the flowers in it all bloomed at the same time. After a few days of being completely open, the flower petals shriveled up. Some fell and some didn't. I had read that you should deadhead them otherwise the plant would "think" it's the end of the season and begin seed production (which I guess is a bad thing, because it requires too much energy from the plant).
So I pulled all the petals off them leaving intact the "seed box" that connected the petals to the stem. Then someone told me that I needed to remove that "seed box" and cut the stem just under the seed box (as you do when trimming roses). This took place a month ago. Until today, the plant has shown absolutely no grown: No seed boxes are coming back, which means no new flowers. Even though all the leaves are still green and spry, the plant looks like it's dormant, and the stems look like the little stump left after I trimmed them.
Does anyone have any advice about this? Did I deadhead them the wrong way? Will they still bloom this year? Is there anything I should do in the meantime???

seaellare
Cool Member

Hello!

I, too, have asiatic lillies - they are done blooming for the season, unfortunately. They will only bloom once (this season). As for the seed "boxes", I cut them down to below that last year, but this year I didn't bother! Mine are still green as well, and I know that you have to leave them alone until the foliage turns brown and gets ugly :)

Hope I helped a little bit - there are lots of others here who can probably help more!!!!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D

Seaellare is right I'm afraid. You will only get one lot of flowers a year and thats it. The weather has a lot to do with how long they stay in flower. If it is very hot and sunny as they come into bud they will go over quite quickly. Not a lot you can do about it really.
Once they have finished you should not deadhead as the dying stalk feeds the bulb for the following year but don't worry. I doubt wether you have made too much difference. You have only removed the tops which just means they won't set seed but the bulb in the ground will multiply so you should still get more lillies next year.

Return to “Perennials”