darlene729
Newly Registered

What is this vine?

What is this vine?
It came up a few weeks ago in one of my flower beds. I accomodated it with a trellis and it has almost completely covered it in just 2 weeks!

https://www.westga.edu/~dowens/vine

Is it a Silver Lace Vine or some other kind of weed vine?

Thanks,
darlene

grantandersonuk

It looks like some kind of convolvulus or bindweed to me.

I would kill it immediately if I were you!

Grant

Jess
Greener Thumb

I don't think it is bindweed as the flowers are wrong. Thought it might be a Cinnamon vine but the leaf veins are not right for that. It may very well be a Silver lace vine. Could you post pics when the flowers have opened?

fancy

It looks like what we call a pea vine they do take over when they get a chance.

IrisPrincess

I have absolutely no idea what it is called, but it's ALL over my garden too and there are flowers like on the pictures of the bindweed, so I'm guessing it's probably that. The rasberries don't seem to mind it, so I'll leave mine alone. I always just thought that it was a morning glory weed thing (I'm not very educated in agriculture). :D

Newt
Greener Thumb

Fringed bindweed aka Polygonum cilinode?
https://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/polygonumcili.html

Newt

Anonymous

I wonder if Darlene729 pulled those vines out ....or did she think they were interesting...

I know oh too well on what it is!
It is Wild Buck WHEAT and I promise if anyone lets it go,
it will take over 50 feet of everything living and not living in no time at all it carries thousands of seed and next year you will spend say...several hours a day for months trying to rid your land of those new little seedlings.

I have pics but not sure how to post them. I chopped mine down several times and within a weekend in August it was completely choking all my veggie crops and the following year which was this past season seedling were growing even under my covered beds.

Kale

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I recognize it as bindweed because that is what we can a similar looking plant that is equally as invasive around here. I would pull it out as soon as possible and make sure you get all the roots.

Almost as bad as morning glory which I constantly battle with.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I agree - yank it. It looks like a certain vine I struggled with in FL. Does it stink when you damage it?

ahughes798
Cool Member

You DON'T want this plant, LOL!

Return to “Perennials”