mjtenkarian

Anemone Sylvestris - Vigorous Spreader - Plant or Not Plant?

I really want to plant Anemone Sylvestris in my garden but would like some input from others. I have read this is a very vigorous spreader and why I have some room I don't really want it to take over.

I live in Mass and it would be planted in a bed of half sun/half shade most of the day. Soil is pretty good but I do amend with Lobster Compost every spring.

Has anyone had any experience with this plant? I want to plant it because I have read that slugs may not bother it. Is this true?

Thank for taking the time to read this post.

KeyWee

I have this plant in my landscape (Z7a KY) and I really love it. I also had it before we moved (Z5a WI) so I think it is good zones 4-8.
Since my latest thing is to add ONLY no-pest no-work plants to my yard, I am always on the lookout. This plant has no pest problems that I have seen. Yes, the seed heads are a bit like dandelions so you will get this plant in more spots than one if you don't deadhead ~ I never do, because I like that the graceful nodding flowers appear here and there in the landscape. It seems to prefer a part sun/shade area but I don't think that's a must. If the plants get too big, I just divide and move (or share:).
I think you will enjoy this plant (and I enjoyed reading your post:)
P.S. We commonly call this white wind anemone, but that all depends on where you are!

mjtenkarian

Thank you so very much for posting a reply on this question. I am now so excited and am definitely going to plant these this fall! Wish me good luck!

KeyWee

I will have seed if you can't find plants.

mjtenkarian

I have ordered and planted 3 plants, so we will see how things go. Thanks for being so helpful!

Return to “Perennials”