evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Identify these bulbs

Hi all

Please help me identify these bulbs. I have had these 3 bulbs in pots for while and I can't quite remember how I go them. I don't remember what flowers they had or if I even got them with flowers on them. I gather they like warmth and are spring/summer bulbs as we're getting warm spring weather now.

They came up last year in spring/summer but I didn't treat them right and they didn't flower. So now I thought I would try to grow the little bulblets and possibly revive the original bulbs. They were fairly large and are now much smaller - I didn't feed them.

What do I do to grow the bulblets? Also, how do I feed them and if you know what they are tell me please what sun and water requirements they need.

applestar
Mod

Only bulb like that that I know of is Amarylis, though I realize there are other large bulbs with strappy leaves like that.

Here, we typically plant them about now or a little later for Christmas bloom, but it's often sold blooming for holiday (Late November through December) gifts and sold as bulb and bulb planting kits for gift giving during the holiday season.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I don't think they are amaryllis as they are too small (I should have included a scale) and amaryllis flowers in winter after coming up in autumn. That seems backwards to what this one has done. Also the 'neck' seems different in that the neck of an amaryllis is thick and has visible leaves while this seems too narrow and differently shaped.

I have ruled out freesia, hyacinth, any narcissus (although the size and the fact that I buy them made me really think it might be jonquils).

Unless I am wrong and they are amaryllis. I had decided they are not when I posted this but hey. Perhaps their lack of roundness and size is due to the lack of feeding. Anyone have any advice on identifying them? Also how to identify Amaryllis belladonna from Hippeastrum?

I cannot understand where I got them from and why I would leave them unlabeled. They were dormant previously but really this is ridiculous. What do you feed bulbs during growth, then after?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Look what one of my bulbs did!

The others are just leaves though. I really wonder why. So if this flowered in spring with just a little leaf at the bottom is it an Amaryllis or Hippeastrum?

imafan26
Mod

Its and amaryllis all right. Pretty too. Amaryllis bulbs have to size up to flower. The smaller bulbs probably just need to get bigger before they bloom. I dig up, add more compost and separate the bulbs every three years or so and they bloom a lot better when they are not too crowded and the smaller bulbs have a chance to get bigger. P.S. Mine are in the ground year round.

Return to “Perennials”