cher68

Planted my first Hibiscus :D

I've always admired these but never knew what they were until a week ago.
I purchased one last night at Lowes that says "Luna" but no color identified only a pic of mutiple colored ones. I'm hoping I will get different colors, that would be awesome.
Anyway I planted it this morning taking care to follow directions to a T. :) I really want this plant to thrive.
It has several yellow leaves that are falling of but many many buds. I used a planting soil I purchased to plant and mixed it with our soil as well.
Really wanted to fertilize afterwards but all I had was a 20-20-20, a fish fertilizer and some Tomato tone I just bought but havent used.
I decided to try a very small hand ful of the Tomato tone and just sprinkled around and tried to work down into the soil . Then watered heavily.
The tomato tone looks to be higher in potassium which I read is what the Hibiscus likes. I'm anxious to see how he looks in a few days. :)

imafan26
Mod

Good for you. Hibiscus luna series is a rose mallow. It should have repeat blooms intermittently throughout the summer. It makes a good specimen or hedge plant and is hardy to zone 5.

cher68

I can see the first bloom getting ready to open soon . And strangely it looks black, but I'm sure it's just a really dark color. haha
Excited to see what it could be. None of the others are ready to bloom yet.

Return to “Perennials”