pboo
Newly Registered

Delphinium not flowering

I bought a small delphinium several weeks ago which had half a dozen or so leaves on it. Now it has masses of leaves, some very big but no sign of any flowers and I get the feeling it's not going to flower now.

Any ideas why ?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Why do you say it isn't going to flower? Delphinium bloom season is mid-summer to fall. If you just put yours in the ground a few weeks ago, it is still getting established, so it seems like it might well bloom yet. You may just need a little patience.

That said, masses of big leaves growing quickly sounds like it is getting a lot of nitrogen. Have you been fertilizing it? You don't want to feed any flowering plant a high nitrogen fertilizer, which tends to result in lots of big leafy growth at the expense of flowering. Look for something like Tomato Tone (tomatoes are also flowering plants! :) ) which is higher in the PK end of NPK.

Even if it doesn't bloom real well this year, getting started, it is a perennial, so it should come back next year bigger and stronger and bloom a bit sooner.

pboo
Newly Registered

Hi,
Thanks for quick reply. Yes I did use a bit of bonemeal as per the instructions that came with the pot. Is this the reason I'm seeing lots of foliage ?

Anyway, I'll just leave it and see if it flowers this year. I've never had any luck with delphs, and never had one come back the following year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No the bone meal is a good thing. It is high in phosphorous and calcium and has hardly any nitrogen.

southjersey

I congratulate you on at least having healthy green leaves. I live in zone 7 in South Jersey and whenever I have planted delphiniums they turn brown and die back never to be seen again the next year due to the heat, I think. I think they prefer the cooler weather. Anyone had any success in warmer climates with them? What about the advertised delphiniums that have claims to be heat tolerant?

Return to “Perennials”