Candida

aphids

The only plant I ever had any insect problem with is this old fashioned cabbage rose. It gets infested every year with aphids. Usually I just hose it down with a hard jet for a few days in a row and that keeps them under control, but it is not working this time. They are getting chowed down. I can see the aphids and their handiwork. I also see little white debris and black spots. I assumed that the black dots were problably feces, and the white, what look almost like cocoon material, were refuse of the aphids, but now am beginning to wonder if there is some other problem. even the buds are being eaten. Any ideas or suggestions besides chemicals. Should I try my garlic/pepper spray on it, just keep hosing it down and hoping for the best?
Candy

Jess
Greener Thumb

I don't know if I mentioned this to you before or someone else Candida.
The best organic control of aphids or caterpillars is Derris dust. It has to be applied again if it rains and looks like you have covered your plant in talcum powder but it will give your plant a fighting chance if seriously infested.
I have a problem on my Apothecary rose sometimes with sawfly larvae. They are tiny caterpillar like larvae that stick their back ends up in the air if disturbed. Could it be anything like that chomping your rose?

Candida

I do believe it must have been someone else. I have never heard of Derris Dust. Thanks. Wish me luck

Return to “Perennials”