cll1764
Newly Registered

Can you tell me what I am?

I planted this perennial plant last summer, and the tag is now missing. It is thriving and growing like wild. Problem is, I don't know what it is. Can anyone tell me what this is? My mother feels it is a hollyhock plant, but she is unsure.

HELP

cll1764
[url=https://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0000091sc8.jpg][img=https://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3851/0000091sc8.th.jpg][/url]

Candida

Your plant looks like a hollyhock to me. it will shoot up a stem of blossoms a few feet tall. They self sow readily and come in a variety of colors. Looks nice and healthy.

Candida

Hello again,
I just thought I would add that I believe Hollyhocks are biennials. Sometimes they do winter over and bloom again, but I think they usually set seed and the new plants bloom in their second year.
Candy

cll1764
Newly Registered

Candida wrote:Hello again,
I just thought I would add that I believe Hollyhocks are biennials. Sometimes they do winter over and bloom again, but I think they usually set seed and the new plants bloom in their second year.
Candy
Well, the plant was there last year at about half the size. It didn't bloom last year, but as I've mentioned it has doubled in size. I've had no hand at helping it, other than watering it and giving it fertilizer. I'll just continue what I'm doing and wait for the blooms. My concern is it's growing size and the location of the plant. Most likely, I'll need to replant it somewhere else where it will have room. I'll keep you posted, and when it blooms I'll send you a picture, if you like.

Cheryl :D

Candida

I would love a picture of it, that would be fun!! My 35 mm camera just kicked the bucket and so I am camera-less except for the one on my cell phone. Now that I found this site, I will have to bite the bullett and go get a new camera. This time a digital is in order, of course. Your picture is very clear and nice. Is that with a digital, do you mind if I ask what brand, type? I am going to start shopping.
Candy

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

It's a hollyhock all right. Mine re-seed all over the place and some even winter over! They don't behave like biennials when they do that, just keep putting up blooming stalks head-high. They do get what looks like rust, though, so when they get really ratty I yank 'em.

Happy Gardening.
wingdesigner

Return to “Perennials”