KeriFord

Raised bed around peach tree?

I know not to do a raised bed around an oak tree since it'll suffocate the tree, is that the same for a peach tree?

All perennial flowers going in the bed, if that matters.

If I can't fill will dirt, can I surround the base of the tree with rocks and then fill the rest of the bed with dirt? Trying to figure out my options.

The tree is on a good little slant. so to the right of the tree, could I fill that side with dirt to bring it all level and then just mulch well to the left of the tree where it's higher?

And yes, my tree is all sad leaning. Wind snapped the tree in half several years ago. I tied the break off with rope to see if it would save it. lo and behold it did! but...I should have checked it sooner cause, yeah, sideways. I have it braced and a second branch is finally starting to grow out and I hope will balance it.

thoughts?
Attachments
DSCN0313.JPG
DSCN0313.JPG (48.47 KiB) Viewed 1231 times

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

I'm not an expert on trees, but putting too much soil on top of roots or covering the existing exposed trunk of the tree more than an inch or so is a problem for all trees no matter the kind, I believe.

The other issue is the tree's roots may eventually heave up whatever you use to create the raised bed.

We created raised beds using retaining wall blocks around the trees in our front yard that are on a slant and filled just one side to even off the ground. So the wall starts even with the ground and builds up around the tree to make everything level.

We've planted spring bulbs and hosta under the trees as well. They are doing fine but as they grow we know a root can heave the blocks and cause us to have to rework the beds either making them larger or something.

Good luck!

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

any tree.

tree have roots. some of those roots run fairly shallow -
some tree types have seriously big shallow root systems
some tree types have super-ultra deep/strong tap roots + shallow root system.

root systems require oxygen to do their thing.

bury the roots / shallow roots, tree dies.

I've seen this in two "developments" - builders run amok touting "mature" trees, etc., then promptly build a house, seriously regrade / fill the lot/area around those "mature trees" everybody paid extra thousands of dollars for.

all they got - 5-6 years later - was a bill for a tree dude to come in a cut down the dead trees before they fell through the roof. one couple down the street - heavily treed (and filled) lot - cost them $20,000 last year - tree dudes with chain saws, crane & riggers to keep them from crashing through the house, re-seed / re-establisah torn up lawn, etc etc etc.

KeriFord

thanks for the feedback!

I think I'll try just around the one side and keep the dirt light. I don't mind reworking things cause my tree gets bigger and pushy :)

and thanks Dillbert. your neighbors is exactly what I want to avoid!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Building beds around any tree is a risky endeavor. I have a large live oak and no grass growing under it because of the deep shade. I wanted to plant ground cover and low growing annuals with white blooms, variegated and silver foliage. I talked to an arborist who specializes in oak tree preservation. His initial response was no, no and no. After some discussion he did offer some advice. Leave a ring 3' to 6' out from the trunk of the tree. Use a small cultivator to loosen the soil no more than 1" deep. Add no more than 1" of soil. Provide irrigation and add nitrogen twice a year. Test the soil annually to make sure the nitrogen level is stable.

Good luck

Return to “Perennials”