hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Clematis

Something stripped the leaves from two of my clematis. One is on the porch in a planter and the other is in the ground as a foundation plant. I just noticed the damage today, and see no critter present. But the damage really happened as much as a week ago and I've just been too busy to pay attention.

Any idea what munches the leaves off. The plant is pretty much clean, like it must have been a herd of what ever did the damage.

watermelonpunch

Good gravy! :(
How high were the leaves munched? And you mean clear to the stems?
You think it was a mammal?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Up on my porch? I don't think it was an animal. Looks more like a small herd of worms stripped the leaves. We have slugs, but of all things that they eat, it is usually just a little munch here and a munch there. I don't know have these leaves all got eaten so quickly either. I just remember the plant being o.k. and then being stripped clean. Must have happened over a period of just a few days. I have cut both plants back with a severe pruning. Hopefully they will leaf back out.

KeyWee

The same thing happened to my sweet autumn clematis last year about this time. One day it was leafy as can be ...... and the next, simply stems. I was told cutworms by my local extension (or earwigs could be the cause too). And yes, you will see no evidence of the pests once they have had their dinner. This year, I treated in advance and so far so good. Since we have had a lot of rain this spring, I am considering a systemic drench soon. On the bright side, the leaves do reappear once the plant recovers from the chow down job.
I am glad you posted this ~ need to get out and check mine again for sure. Like you, get busy, LOTS of garden areas, and sometimes a problem gets past you before you notice it ~ arghhhhh.

Return to “Perennials”