mittengardener

Planting wintercreeper cuttings

I guess my question is simply WILL THIS WORK?

I have a maple tree with wintercreeper planted at the base of it. The wintercreeper appears to be a part of the maple tree, so eradicating it may not be possible so I just cut it down every so often. I did not put the wintercreeper there. It was there when I bought the house.

I also have a mulberry tree along a chainlink fence that is unfortunately half mine and half my neighbors. I do not like mulberry trees! My idea was to take some cuttings of the vertical parts of the winter creeper, take off the lowest leaves and simply put them in the ground at the base of the mulberry in an effort to stunt the growth of the mulberry, which is now about 18 feet tall.

Frankly I am too lazy to baby wintercreeper cuttings with rooting hormone in containers, blahblah. I just put a hole in the soil with a screwdriver, slid the cuttings in and packed it firm. I know wintercreeper is invasive, but I like it more than mulberry trees and I am hoping it covers the chainlink fence and chokes out any other mulberry trees that want to come up. Will this method work? Will the witercreeper take hold?

mittengardener

This is looking iffy! The wintercreeper is very limp today :)

Return to “Perennials”