mittengardener

I went perennial crazy this year

I was at Costco and they had some bags of perennials for a great price. I ended up with a total of 85 bulbs/roots at a cost of 55 cents each.

35 lilies (cannot remember which varieties)
3 peonies
6 Iris
3 "dutch iris"
6 blue hostas
6 phlox
3 clematis
9 eucomis
7 ostrich fern
7 astilbe "federsee"

I tried my best to plant this insane amount of stuff in an organized manner with hopes that it looks good, but what the heck..let's just wing it and see what happens :)

I planted 3 "miss kim" lilac bushed, which by the way smell better than any other lilac I have ever smelled and the scent drifts further than any other.

I also planted a dwarf burning bush.

Yep I've been busy.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Very nice! Show some pictures!

It's an interesting mix of sun lovers and shade lovers to come all in one bag. I think hostas and ferns are really nice mixed in together.

mittengardener

rainbowgardener wrote:Very nice! Show some pictures!

It's an interesting mix of sun lovers and shade lovers to come all in one bag. I think hostas and ferns are really nice mixed in together.
Oh these came in a bunch of different bags. The ferns were planted together, but I am fortunate enough to have a bed with a nicely shaded area as well as a full sun area, so the hostas and sun loving flowers can live closely.

As of right now the hostas are pretty small. The lilies are coming up pretty well. The eucomis have all popped their heads up and the 3 clematis just popped up this week. I am wondering if I will need to wait until next spring for a full showing.

Here are some pics

Clematis about 1 week ago

This is where the clematis are planted. I am using some lily of the valley to shade the base of the clematis. Sand cherry in the foreground. Hosta (not a new one) and sedum in the background by the big maple tree.

Aforementioned hosta and sedum

3 blue hostas in a bed with rhododendron, another sand cherry and sedum

Miss Kim lilac

Eucomis

Dwarf burning bush

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Very nice!

Must be a maple tree somewhere, all those whirlygigs.

While your plants are little, it is always nice to mulch around them.

mittengardener

rainbowgardener wrote:Very nice!

Must be a maple tree somewhere, all those whirlygigs.

While your plants are little, it is always nice to mulch around them.
Do you mean I should mulch the lilacs and the burning bush? The sand cherry and rhododendron as well? The rhododendron and sand cherries have been there since we moved in, but the rhododendron never gets any bigger..

I only have maples! 2 silver maples, which are responsible for the thousands of helicopters, and a rock maple. Check out my new raspberry patch..you'd think it is a maple tree patch...

Return to “Perennials”