Susan W
Greener Thumb

My garden shrunk!

Last summer, perhaps July worked a new area for various perennials. These had stacked up on the 'to-plant' table. A few I had started, picked up on ad, just pretty etc. The area is about 4 x 12, and I just dumped various bags of stuff, enriched dirt from compost etc. It was a chance to clean up older and broken bags of whatever and get the plants in the ground. It is somewhat mounded and put an extra heavy layer of mulch (shredded hardwood) around the edges. Well, happy to say I think all but a couple plants are thriving. I did add a bit more space last week, more plants. Now, as these plant come back for the season are bigger, a good thing of course. I did leave space, and the whole area isn't covered, yet, but next season may be. This is a mostly sun area, and when most kick in to bloom should be very pretty, and eclectic. This also should be a healthy bird-butterfly-bee area.

Coreopsis
yarrow (2 or 3 varieties)
cone flower not sure but may be native purple
coneflower. from seed, mixed colors
baptisia -false indigo
phlox
sunflower, perhaps. Was in a packet of coneflower from Horizon Herbs. Surprise!
shasta daisy
painted daisy
Comfrey

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Oh my, I missed a couple. There's a salvia, May night or something similar from the box store and an aster. I have a hard time with asters, and hoping for this one. It has new green growth, so there's a chance!

The space needs to be bigger so I can play with hollyhocks, especially the zebrina, and sunflowers and...and.....and... I am thinking to fit one of the pineapple sages in as it blooms late (Sept-Oct). With all the early and mid bloomers, one forgets the late season ones.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Read this title as 'my garden SKUNK' at least three to four times. Finally registered, what you had actually typed. Was kind of wondering why someone would be excited about having a skunk in the garden, but just now opened the link.

I know what you mean, most always having more plants than space, ever expanding the beds and containers.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I love your variety! I'm just starting mine so I'm looking forward to the "shrinking process" over the next few years as everything fills in :) You should take some photos to look back at years from now!

Return to “Perennials”