KeyWee

Lantana "Miss Huff"

Has anyone tried this "new" lantana ~ supposed to be hardy zone 7a and up? Since my area was just changed from 6b to 7a, I am anxious to try it. No luck yet at local greenhouses (a bit early in the season) so I looked for it online. While I don't mind paying $11.00 for the plant, I am going to DRAW THE LINE at $18.00 shipping. Will keep looking ..............

LA47
Green Thumb

I live in to cold of zone for them but you were smart to check the shipping price. Some places really over charge.

imafan26
Mod

All lantana here is a weed. It needs to be cut back frequently or it looks like a bramble. It attracts whiteflies and scale but doesn't seem to be bothered by it. It is a pretty plant, but is a nasty weed if not managed.

Some species are listed as a noxious weed in Australia, tropics, and the coastal southern states. It is difficult to kill even with pesticides or biological controls and threatens to displace native plants.

https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=laca2

KeyWee

I am a LONG way from Hawaii :D

Lantana is commonly an annual here and if our summer is long enough, they can get huge and woody, but they will still not overwinter. A friend finally did find this plant for me (just over our southern border in TN) so I got one for $7.00 and am trying it in a protected location. It is tiny 1x1.

You are fortunate to live in such a lush location with year round beauty ~ we are pretty drab Nov-Mar. But every location has its invasives ~ plants that are for sale as perennials in other zones grow wild and are obnoxious in our area too. Wherever you go, there you are 8)

imafan26
Mod

True. Lantana is not native here, but was brought in as an ornamental years ago. It is not the first ornamental brought in to cause problems myconia and strawberry guava were also brought in as ornamentals. Where there is snow, tender plants do not survive and probably won't escape into the wild and cause problems. You also have things like deer that eat up the succulent vegetation giving a measure of control.

Lantana can be a pretty plant if it is in the right place.

Return to “Perennials”