eva2120
Newly Registered

Fast growing shade loving vine or hedge for privacy?

Hi. I live in Sunset Zone 17. I need a vine or hedge that likes - or at least tolerates shade well. Fast growing would be nice. It will be in front of a six foot cyclone fence, so it can climb (vine), otherwise, it can be taller than the fence (shrub, hedge). There is little freezing here, but it does usually get below freezing a couple of times each winter. Max temp in summer is mid to upper 80s - though the fence line is fully shaded. I've looked in Sunset Garden book in the shade loving and vine sections - there's not a lot that tolerates shade. So I'm wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts / experiences to share. I'm looking for low maintenance. Soil is sandy and drains well. The area is over hung by oaks (hence the shade) but is NOT covered in oak litter.
Thanks.

KeyWee

How about a Carolina Jessamine? It is fast growing and you can give it a haircut for shape and control. Mine blooms here in spring (little yellow flowers) and again later in the summer. Our temps are similar to yours. It stays evergreen and only wilts a little in frost, then perks right back up again. It will tolerate sun or shade ~ probably not bloom as much in shade, but it is a pest-free and healthy-looking plant.
I tried to post a picture of mine in this message but I am obviously too new :oops: Anyway, she needs a haircut and something new to climb on badly.
Oh, and are you maybe a Zone 7? That would be the same as me.[/url]

Hortman

Hello eva2120. Ken here in the Chicago area. Welcome to the Forums.
I found a vine for you in the Sunset Western Garden Book in the vine
section. It is Euonymus fortunei radicans and common winter creeper. It
grows in sun or shade. Give it a wall and it will cover it. It is a tough,
hardy evergreen vine that can grow 20ft. or more. Let us know what
you pick.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The euonymous is pretty invasive and can become a problem in your yard if you don't keep it in check.

Other vines for shade include climbing hydrangea, virginia creeper, dutchman's pipe, and chocolate vine. If the area gets a bit of sun, trumpet creeper would work, but it gets pretty huge.

eva2120
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I think I've made a decision. I am going to try Aristolochia californica (Dutchman's pipe vine) for several reasons. The main reason is that it's deer resistant. Also it is a butterfly larval plant and it is a California native. I'll be growing it in a shady area (not deep shade), but hopefully it will get enough sun for it's needs. Thanks rainbowgardner.
Cheers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I like the dutchman's pipe. I have some growing in deep shade at the base of a big old tree. It grows fine there, but has never bloomed. I think it might be more likely to bloom with a bit more sun.

eva2120
Newly Registered

rainbowgardner - that is great info. Thanks. I hope it flowers, but if not, that's okay too. Main goal is providing just a bit of privacy, main problem is deer. So this should be great. Thanks again everyone.

Return to “Perennials”