lily51
Greener Thumb

when do you start your perennials?

This could also be a topic for seed starting or greenhouses....but, how early do you start your seeds for perennials for summer? Some that I am starting are dianthus, Echinacea, echinops, hibiscus, mondera. I have tried different times from Jan to end of Feb.
I start the seeds in the house, then when it's time to transplant into cells, do so in the greenhouse, where I continue to up pot them.
I know some people sow 3_4 seeds in a container from the start, then thin if needed, I just don't have as much success this way .
what works best for you?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I am on a learning curve with perennials from seed. It often takes 1-2 yrs to grow enough to flower. From some reading, some can be started in the fall and bloom come summer. Those started now will be the next summer. General here, not specific. I suggest a net search on each variety you are pondering. This doesn't have to be an in-depth study, but a few sites should give you a ball park idea.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

IDK about starting from seed. I have several friends that are in the wholesale plant business and they rarely start perennials from seed. They maintain mother plants and start from cuttings. Starting from seed takes too long and requires too much greenhouse space to be economically feasable. If you have the time, energy and space then go for it. Personally I prefer propgating from cuttings.

Good luck.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have started a number of perennials from seed, including lavender, sage, oregano, thyme, mint, and rosemary as well as lots of different flowers. Any thing cold hardy, I usually start in January. That way they are hopefully big enough to start hardening off in March. That gets them out of the way and not taking up space under the lights, when I need to have lots of annuals there.

imafan26
Mod

I have started some perennials from seed, but it is easier to start them from divisions or cuttings.

Return to “Perennials”