opp2

Shasta Daisy

Can someone tell my why my Shasta Daisies seem to be dead in the center and sprouting (growing) in a ring around the outside..like a donut?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Opp2 :D
How long have you had them and have you ever split them? This could be the reason. They get congested over time and the middle dies. You need to lift them split them and replant the healthy outside growth. You should get several clumps from the one.

opp2

Jess wrote:Hi Opp2 :D
How long have you had them and have you ever split them? This could be the reason. They get congested over time and the middle dies. You need to lift them split them and replant the healthy outside growth. You should get several clumps from the one.
They were purchased and planted from pots last spring. All three look the same so I suppose that's what I'll do. I can do that now too right?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Down to -32C? I don't think I could bear being in that cold a place. :lol:

I have to google everytime to check how cold the different zones are in America. England only varies in temp by about 10 degrees C.

So back to your question...as long as you split when there is no frost on the ground they will be fine. Try to do it when it isn't too warm either so not when the sun is directly on them. Towards the end of the day works best as long as the night is not too cold. What are your min temps at this time of the year? There never seems to be enough info about this on the computer.

opp2

Jess wrote:Down to -32C? I don't think I could bear being in that cold a place. :lol:

I have to google everytime to check how cold the different zones are in America. England only varies in temp by about 10 degrees C.

So back to your question...as long as you split when there is no frost on the ground they will be fine. Try to do it when it isn't too warm either so not when the sun is directly on them. Towards the end of the day works best as long as the night is not too cold. What are your min temps at this time of the year? There never seems to be enough info about this on the computer.
Thanks Jess...-32C is really in the dead of winter here, we usually hover around -5 to -10C....right now average daytime high is 15C and nights are +4-10C.

I'll probably divide them later today or tomorrow then. The lambs ear I divided three weeks ago is doing well now, so a good sign that the soil is ready...

opp2

I'm wondering if it was because I didn't cut them back last fall. I pulled all the mulch and centers away and find that they are growing from the tubers out from the center to the sides. I divided one, however I was wondering if I tried a little experiment with the other one if it might work. I thought I'd pass it by all here.

What if I cut the tubers back toward the center. That would mean cutting all the new growth back. Do you think it would still grow from what was left? It's pretty early in the year and they're only about 2 inches hight right now.

Any thoughts on this tactic would be much appreciated. The one I'm considering cutting back is growing sparsely all around in a circle approx 18 inches in diameter? Realistically, if this didn't work I could always plant new ones.

Return to “Perennials”