pinksand
Greener Thumb

Loving My Stoke's Aster

I bought three Stokes Aster plants in July. They were labeled "sun loving perennials" without a name listed, but their gorgeous fluffy lavender flowers screamed "take me home and plant me!" They looked a bit bachelor buttony so I thought maybe they were some variety of cornflower. I can't remember how I stumbled across Stoke's Asters online but as soon as I saw them I knew it was a match. They don't look like a type of Aster and are long Summer bloomers, unlike their Fall blooming relatives. Plus, they're a Native American wildflower :)

Well these guys have bloomed pretty much non-stop since July, but I think they are finally done. I miss those cheery blooms :( Another fun surprise is the gorgeous shiny evergreen leaves that are filling in beautifully while most of the garden is dying back and turning brown. I relocated the third plant in August and that one is a bit on the puny side. I'm hoping they'll fill in nicely next year as they get more established and naturalize.

Anyway, I figured I would share my experience with them so far and pass along a recommendation. I just love them :) Anyone else have experience with these plants?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I LOVE Stokes Asters as a lanscaping fill in perennial. During the bloom season cut the blooms and bring them in for nice low arrangements. They benifit from having the flowers harvested. Take your cuts just above a leaf or leaf pair. It will promote new growth and more blooms.

Glad you like your Stokes.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thanks for your reply! I'm definitely going to follow your advice next season and bring some cuttings in :)

Happy Days

This is getting up close and personal with my Stokes' Aster 'Peachie's Pick'.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Lovely! That purple is almost neon against the bright green leaves. They're such vibrant, friendly flowers :)

Happy Days

That's for sure. And they photograph so nicely. :lol:

Arabelle
Newly Registered

:) You might like the yellow too. Cutting is a good idea.Toward the end of the year let some flowers go to seed and harvest for Spring.

Happy Days

Yes indeed. I haven't had the yellow but I did an online search and that is a beautiful flower! :D

I do save seed. I couldn't this year but I do have a nice pot of asters in a protected area still showing some green out there.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Have you found that yours naturalize easily or do they not spread much?

Unfortunately I didn't collect any seeds from last seasons blooms :( I wish I had because I'm planning a new flower bed and would love some stokes in there! I'll have to save some seeds this next time around.

The leaves are still a vibrant green, although quite droopy on days it dips below freezing. They perk up whenever it warms up though.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Some photos of this season's blooms!

So fluffy!

A friendly visitor

I planted this garden last fall and I'm so pleased with how healthy and cheerful all of the plants have been! Thanks for all the advice you've provided forum members :) A little planning goes a long way!

Return to “Perennials”