knownothing
Newly Registered

I have a question which probably seems stupid

I am looking for a plant that I can film in my house
I need the plant to be really, really responsive to water - I need it to wither quite quicky and then to rehydrate quite quicky too
I am making a time-lapse film to show how a plant responds to drought and rain
are there any plants that have amazing reactions to these things? I am sorry if I sound like an idiot but I really don't know much about plants (or anything else)

thanks, alex

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi fellow Brit. :D
Your question doesn't sound stupid at all. I had to mentally run through my head for several minutes before I could think of one. My choice would be a Ligularia przewalskii. It is a large thin leaved moisture loving plant. Droops pretty fast when deprived of water because the leaves are not tough and leathery like some others. I know this as I have one planted in completely the wrong place and have to water it endlessly!
Seems to perk up quite quickly too when watered.

knownothing
Newly Registered

thank you for your answer!
is this plant quite a big plant?
do you know roughly how long it would take to perk up again?

somebody told me that busy lizzies were a good plant to use. is this right?

I need a plant that will droop part of itself quite far over the edge of the pot - I am going to make it look like the plant has pressed a switch which will cause a hairdrier to blow on a block of ice which will run down and feed the plant

thanks again

Jess
Greener Thumb

Sounds like an interesting project.
I don't know about the busy lizzies but they have quite small leaves and probably won't look quite so dramatic. I couldn't tell you how quick the Lig stands up again as I tended to water in the evening and it would be upright again in the morning and yes it is a large plant. Here is a link;https://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/9018.shtml
The busy lizzie would probably be cheaper and may be easier to get hold of.

Grey
Greener Thumb

My vote is on the miniature peace lilies. I have two of them, I call them my "reminder plants" because when they wilt, it's time to water everybody in the house. They bounce back within 2 hours, it's pretty amazing.

fancy

somebody told me that busy lizzies were a good plant to use. is this right?

Busy lizzies or Impatiens as we call them over here are one plant that will wilt if dried out and too hot. They will also rehydrate fairly fast although I have never timed them lol. I would plant them in a shallow pot or bowl that has a hole in the bottom and maybe put a hot lamp or just a lightbulb near it and test it. It will revive itself when watered thoroughly. :roll:

tiggs&oscar

Hey there film student!!

Like Grey I have a peace lily and when it droops the leaves could easily be manipulated into the positions you are after.
Then when you water it and spray the leaves the recovery is astonishing.
I would like to point out I do not neglect my plants on purpose but I put this on a sunny window over winter and some unseasonal warm days led to the above. Honest!!!!

:roll:

TO

Return to “Perennials”