ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Perennial Bed Help

Hello. So I have a bed that right not is thousands of gazania with bermuda grass growing up through them about a foot high. Then I have a big ugly bush and a foresty bush and a dwarf peach. If I dig up all but the peach will the bermuda get left from the pieces of roots that will inevitably get left? Right now I plan on making the first foot of the bed ranunculus then nehind that more gazanias and a lemon. Do you think this will look stupid because I will have mid size flowers in the front and short ones in the back? If I plant gazanias over the ranunculus will the ranunculus grow up through it? I will also heavily mulch it. Please give me suggestions and plants if you think I should change it. I would not be opposed to making it a perennial bed with shorts in front mid behind them and tall in the back.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are looking for design tips, a couple pictures might help.

You are talking about SoCal flowers I'm not familiar with.

The one piece I can respond to is about the bermuda grass. Yes, unfortunately the bermuda grass will come back from pieces of root left behind. You can slow that process down a lot by sifting the dirt, sifting out all the little pieces, but it's a huge job and eventually the bermuda grass will come back anyway -- but if you do a good job on the sifting, it might take a few years.

Return to “Perennials”