cgm707
Newly Registered

Kangaroo Paws Not Blooming

My Kangaroo Paws bloomed briefly a few months ago, but nothing since. They never seem to bloom profusely any year, and they are all about 5 years old. I read they do not like to be fertilized, and I try to let them dry out before watering. They receive full-sun to part-sun. I am in San Diego.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

applestar
Mod

Welcome to the forum! I had to look up kangaroo paws. It's an interesting plant from Australia. :D
Do you know what species/cultivar you have?

I think the most pertinent information I found are these:
It is advisable to regard kangaroo paws as short-lived plants. Experience at the Gardens has shown that plant performance declines after 3 to 5 years. Some species, for example, Anigozanthos manglesii, are best considered annuals. Dividing the clumps will help retain vigour. Some organic matter should be added to the soil after division.
Most species are dormant over winter (some die back completely) and it is important not to over-water at this time.

At the Gardens, kangaroo paws are cut back to within about 10 cm of the ground in late winter. In this way diseased and frost damaged leaves are removed, reducing the chance that they will harbour pests and diseases.
https://www.anbg.gov.au/anigozanthos/index.html

So one -- your plants are getting too old and need to be divided to revitalize,
and two -- your plants probably need winter rest/dormancy for optimum health (are they getting that?)
-- :P hmmm... do they get confused that it's winter in their native land now and it's summer there when it's winter here....:?

Do you have any photos of your kangaroo paws? I'd love to see them. 8)

Return to “Perennials”