firefly13
Newly Registered

what to plant on a steep embankment

Good Day! I have a tall rock wall with a steep embankment above it, around 1,200 square feet in direct sun light. I'm looking to plant something not too expensive that doesn't require any maintenance and retains the newly put soil and was looking for some suggestions. I need to do something quickly because the darn weeds are already coming through it. : ) Thanks! Kindest Regards, Andréa

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like you are looking for a spreading ground cover.

Is it in full sun all day? That makes it tougher.

Things to consider would be creeping phlox, creeping/ prostrate juniper, Virginia creeper (a vine, but it can be used as ground cover), moss campion, antennaria/ pussytoes, anemones (aka windflower, thimbleweed), barren strawberry.

If you have acid soil and some shade, not full sun all day, bunchberry, wintergreen, foamflower/ tiarella would be nice.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Use a fabric cover first to give the plants a chance to get a hold. If it is very steep even strong plants will be washed away before the roots can get a good hold.

Creeping ground cover is the right idea because then you don't have to plant too many plants. A good example of something cheap and very strong is ivy.

You can also plant grass if the area you live in has a natural selection of grasses. Often a wild looking embankment of natural grass looks great, and you only have to cut it once a year after it dries and the seeds fall (so they can grow next year).

Return to “Perennials”