jfinner1

Hardy Perennials for Zone 5B

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some flower advice. I'm a bit clueless in the gardening department, and my family always jokes that I have a black thumb. But I have two beds in my front yard, and I really like them to look at least half decent. I live in Akron, Ohio, which I think is Zone 5B, though I'm not really sure what that means or how zones work. One of the beds I think would be considered full sun, the other gets shaded from a tree, so partial sun? The only plants I've had real success with are tiger lilies, which I love. So I'm looking for some ideas on flowers that are perennials, don't require a whole lot of attention, and will bloom at different times so I have something blooming for most of the summer. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!

mtmickey

Iris, mums, other types of lilies. Although not perennials, will self seed and continue growing year after year, are columbine, lupine, snapdragons

jfinner1

Wow, I just looked, and I never knew there were so many different kinds of lilies! Would it be possible to do a completely lily flower bed, with all different kinds of lilies that bloom at different times of the year? That would be awesome!

mtmickey

in one of my beds I have tiger lilies, asiatic lilies and day lilies. They all bloom at different times and it looks beautiful. That same bed has iris, lupine, and lavendar (which I forgot to mention), tulips, hyacinth, glacier lilies (wild flower here), mums, hostas...you get the idea...there is always something in bloom, starting very early in the season, through the fall.

Return to “Perennials”