mittengardener

Should I avoid using Lily of the Valley?

Last weekend I removed a 4 foot x 1 foot strip of Lily of the Valley from my Father-in-Law's yard. I knew it was an invasive plant, but after doing some reading I've also found out that it is very hard to remove.

The bed I have planted it in is bordered on one side by my driveway and on the other is my neighbors fence. Planting it here will keep it from invading any other parts of my yard, but it will most definitely spread into my neighbors lawn on the other side of the fence.

I planted it last night, so if I removed it tonight there would be no harm. Seems like a pain in the butt plant...

mittengardener

Marlingardener wrote:Lily of the Valley will invade your neighbor's lawn. It is also poisonous if eaten--leaves, flowers and roots are all toxic. It can kill cats and small dogs, and make children very, very sick.
Although it is a beautiful flower, you may want to remove it now while you can. Is there an area of your yard that is enclosed (like a strip between the house foundation and a sidewalk) where you could put it and not have it wander?
My options are pretty limited. My father in law has his in a bed that is bordered on all sides by concrete walkways, so it stays put.

The only place I could plant it without worrying would be the strip of "lawn" between the sidewalk and the street in front of my house. I say "lawn" because this area has extremely poor, sandy soil and it is hard to get much of anything to grow other than weeds and a little grass. But Lily of the Valley prefers shade and this is full sun.

I think I'm just going to have to toss it and find something else for the driveway bed. Maybe some creeping pink thyme..

mittengardener

Apparently Lily of the Valley has some sentimental value for my wife, so I think it's gonna stay planted and the neighbors can just deal with it.

I want some diversity in there though, so I think I am going to get some blue angel hostas and some heuchera to add some color.

Return to “Perennials”