ESMcLane
Cool Member

Lavender

I want to plant lavender, but I don't know which plant to buy as I know there are so many different variations. Is it a perennial (I've heard that before) or is an annual (I heard that too before). I also heard that the plant will "take over" if planted. I've planted lavender in the past and it was so pretty- but didn't take over the way I heard it would.

thank you : )

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, I don't really have anything to add (so maybe I should just keep my mouth/ fingers shut!), but I will second it, just because I love my lavender.

It is perennial, the plant will gradually get bigger. It grows in a clump and the diameter of the clump will grow. But it is far from invasive, does not spread aggressively or pop up in other places.

The English lavenders survive cold winters best. The English lavender is usually cold hardy to zone 5. It looks like in Mass. you are probably zone 5 or 6, so it should be ok to leave it out for the winter. If you are in zone 5, it will winter over better in the ground than in a container, and might need a little winter protection.

ESMcLane
Cool Member

Okay- so English Lavender it is- that was super helpful...thank you! I can't wait to get some...It's one of my favorite plants : )

Return to “Perennials”